Friday, July 21, 2006

The Hog Roast

I just got home from our small town's dedication of the new park, and hog roast. The menu was, of course, the best pork you could imagine, cole slaw, sour kraut with potatoes and smoked sausage, potato chips, cookies, ice cream and beverage. All for a free will donation. Needless to say, I am FULL. There was a gospel quartet singing, and the townspeople all enjoyed the music. I looked over to the ladies serving the food at one point, and they were all tapping their toes, and swaying and bobbing their heads to the music. A few cousins, and my Aunt were there, so I sat with them and enjoyed a nice visit.

The town is very small, mostly a few blocks long, so this was a real big community event. In the food line were young and old, even a few bikers in leather. There was no generation gap this evening. A good time was had by all.

I looked at some of the old homes on the main street. Old brick houses with white pillars, and American flags on their porches. A true small town USA.. I wonder what those old homes have seen. A once thriving town, with many business, is now mostly all homes, many that are in bad repair. But the people are generally good. It is one of the many towns that thrived on the railroad, and when those days passed, all of the business left for larger opportunities, and many people followed the business' out of town. I sometimes imagine myself in a different time period where you depended on the community near you for most of your needs, and it was a big event to go into the city. I bet it was pretty exciting for the family to get dressed up (yes, ACTUALLY dress up), for the big excursion. Now, everyone works in the city, and they get what they need there before they come home.

If only those homes could talk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home