Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Voting Experience

Like a good American, I went to the polls this morning to cast my vote. Our state has a new law that requires a government or state picture identification. I have a driver's license, so no problem, I was prepared.

I walked into the small town voting place, driver's license in hand. Everyone knew who I was, but they asked just the same. There was the first table with two people checking names, and then right past that, another table with someone to check my name off a different paper, and then a few feet from that, yet another table with more papers to check the name. I showed my driver's license to the first table, walked two feet, and the man with the paper asks me for my driver's license again. I asked how in the world, could I have had cosmetic surgery, and change my name and identification by walking two feet. We all got a chuckle, but the man asking. He didn't understand the joke. I walk about 5 feet to the next table, and they asked to see my driver's license AGAIN. By now, I am thinking how rediculous this whole scene was. By the way, I was the ONLY person in the room voting. They all watched me show ID upon my arrival at the first table.

While I am all for the idea of a person proving their identity, I thought how stupid it was to ask for it at each step of this voting process. If I wasn't who I was supposed to be, and didn't have the proper identification, I would not have passed the first table. I would have been told to leave, and not proceed to table, number two and three. Where was the logic in the person that thought this whole process up?

2 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be here. Of course you figure you will need to show your ID. You go to a table and they ask your name and check it off on the book. They didnt ask for ID or anything... NADA! I could not believe they didnt require any ID of any sort. No picture to confirm it is really you or anything. Then on the way to work I had the radio on and it seems that several people called in to say they also couldnt believe some places werent even asking for IDs. So I guess we are making up for what you went through. Either way makes no sense does it.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

government process at it's best

 

Post a Comment

<< Home