Friday, October 27, 2006

Breakfast

I borrowed my brother and his truck this morning to pick up a few pieces of furniture that the office was throwing out. In payment, I took him to breakfast.

We went to this house out in the country, where a family has a small baking and catering business. They have a small extention on their house, and on Fridays, they open up for breakfast, and to purchase baked goods. It is a small room, with a few racks for pastries, and one curved counter with four or five chairs. A box of assorted plastic ware sat on the counter for self serve table settings. Nothing fancy here. I loved it.

Two Mennonite sisters named Naomi and Ruth are the bakers. My brother has been there several times, and they know him by name, and as soon as he walked in, asked him if he wanted his biscuits and gravy. There were no menus to look at, they just asked what you wanted. I wasn't sure what all they offered, so asked what was good, and Ruth described a concoction of eggs, potatoes, sausage, onions, mushrooms, and cheese, all smothered in gravy. I was game for something different, so ordered a plate of that. All the while she was fixing our breakfast in the kitchen around the corner, she was talking with us. Naomi stayed by the counter and updated my brother on both of their conditions, as both of them will be delivering babies in December.

I could smell good smells coming from around the corner, and was getting very hungry, but wasn't prepared for what she brought out. It was a paper plate heaped FULL of food, and fresh hot biscuits teetering on each side of the plate. A jar of fresh home made strawberry preserves was on the counter to dress up the biscuit, and I would imagine, if that wasn't what you wanted, she would pull out about any other flavor preserves you might desire. There was no way I could eat everything on that plate.

I just loved this little place. It didn't matter that the food was on paper plates, and I ate with plastic ware. It was simplicity in it's finest form. They made you feel so welcome and comfortable that in my mind, it was the same as eating off fine china, and stearling silver.

If you happen to be in the area, I recommend stopping in on a Friday morning for a visit with Naomi and Ruth, and having a great breakfast, or pick up a pie or sweet roll, but don't do it in December. They will be birthing babies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home