Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Omen

Today started out pretty much like any other day, except for when I got up this morning there was a puddle of water on the floor. I thought the dog had an accident, and then thought that she just tipped the water dish over, except the water was kind of warm. It took some time to figure out that sometime during the night, the coffee maker had turned it's self on, and since I hadn't actually made coffee, the basket wasn't where it should have been, and since I had poured out the last of a gallon of water in the coffee maker yesterday, it had almost a full reservoir, when it came on, it produced quite a flood.

I was in a good mood this morning, so I was undaunted and took it all in stride, and cleaned everything up and went about the daily business. The sun was out, and I was in an energetic mood, and was feeling efficient.

I decided to go in to the office early, set up for my appointment, then go to the bank, and while I was there, pull into the next drive, and mail some bills. I pulled out of the drive up, tossing the bank envelope I had just received with some cash, and my driver's license over on to the seat where I had the envelopes I wanted to mail. I pulled into the next drive, grabbed the pile of envelopes, sprang out of the car, opened the mail box, put the envelopes in, closed the door, and immediately had a feeling of dread.

Right away I look over on the seat, and nothing was there. No envelopes to mail and no bank envelope either. You guessed it. MS Efficient just put her money and driver's license in the mail box. I said a few choice words, then wrote down all of the information that was on the mail box hoping I could find someone to talk to about getting that envelope out of there.

I called the toll free number they had listed, and, by the way, now is a great time to complain about companies and organizations that list there number as words. I spent forever looking at the phone trying to dial the darn number. Let's see. A where is A...S where is S....okay now I have to find K. For crying out loud people! Just put a number down!

Sorry, back to the story. I get the number dialed, and reached some national number for the Post Office, and then got a voice menu. If I needed zip code assistance press * ...if I needed rate information press **. Of course, no where on the menu did the lady say "If you accidentally put something in the mailbox that you didn't want to mail and you want it back press ***."

I finally got a real person to talk to, and he basically said that I needed to camp out at the mail box and wait until they came to empty it, and get it back that way. That is what I decided to do, except my client I was seeing was going to run very close to the pick up time for that particular mail box.

Here was my next mistake. I told my client what I had done. She spent the whole hour looking at the clock and worrying that I wouldn't make it there on time. It wouldn't be so bad, but I do massage for a living and she was more focused on that mail box than anything else. I finally had to turn the clock around so she couldn't see it, bless her heart. After the session was over, she sprang off the table, threw her clothes on and yelled "I'm going to go to that mail box and sit there in case they come before you can get to it," and bounded out the door, leaving half her things in the office.

By the time I got to the mail box, there she was, sitting in her car, waiting. Again, bless her heart. She wouldn't leave, wanting to see this episode through, so we chatted in her car until the mail carrier came to open the box. Come to find out, this thing happens all of the time, and he just took it all in stride, as we filtered through the mail until I found the envelope. We all waved, the mail carrier driving off in his truck, my client driving off in her car, and me driving off in mine.

I'm thinking my client was actually kind of excited that something different was happening in an otherwise ordinary day, and I am thinking that when I find that the coffee maker pulls one of those possessed moments, I should be wary of the rest of the day.

1 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger DB said...

You're a massage therapist? Cool! I am starting massage therapy training in the summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home