Friday, July 28, 2006

Porches

I was listening to NPR on the way home today, and the topic was porches and their contribution to architecture and society. In the 1800's an architect designed the porch to set apart homes in the United states from those in Europe. Something to make our homes stand out. During the summer the place to be was on the porch, socializing with those passing by and inviting them up to sit a spell and have a beverage. It was the place of catching up on the news of the area, politics, or just sit and enjoy the evening.

Porch sitting for many has becaome a thing of the past. With air conditioning, computers, video games, cable tv and other things to keep one inside, fewer people are sitting out on their porch.

I don't have a porch and it is something I have always wanted. One with a swing, maybe a rocking chair, and for certain, a glider. I have the best memories of visiting my Grandparents and spending hours on the front porch swinging on the swing and just enjoying the day. Grandma had this certain way to get the swing to move with just the slightest push of her foot. Very little effort was involved. It was an art.

Someday I hope to have my porch, and when I do, be certain to see a wave if you pass by and an invitation to come up and have an iced tea and to sit a spell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home