Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Country Fair

There was a Country Fair in a near by town this weekend so for lunch, I thought I would swing over there and get a bite to eat. I have had a terrible craving for a funnel cake for some time, and knew I could get one of those, as well as a couple of other things I have had a hankering for. I have been so good all summer and haven't hit the festival food places at all, so I thought I deserved a treat today. I had it all planned out. My first stop was at a local church's pork tenderloin place, as I felt nutrition came first with at least some meat on the menu. The tenderloin is long and thing and they put it on this small bun. You can fold it in half and it still hangs over the bun, it is that big.

After I ate the sandwich, the second course was to have a funnel cake. I went to this little trailer that on the top of it, had a sign that said: DUTCH FUNNEL CAKES...all of the boys in the trailer had cowbow outfits on complete with bandanas and cowbow hats. As I was standing in the line, I turned around to the ladies standing behind me and asked them if they thought that maybe these boys were Dutch cowboys as I pointed up to the dutch funnel cake sign. They started laughing hyesterically at the thought. None of us asked those fine boys. I ordered my funnel cake with powdered sugar and, of course, wore it on my red shirt the rest of the afternoon.

Next stop was the Amish home made ice cream place. I was watching all of the people and the beautiful scoops of ice cream and asking them what flavor they were eating and if it was good. I had a regular poll going on, asking couples eating differnt flavors which one they liked best, hoping I could make my mind up what I thought I would like. They had chocolate, vanilla, raspberry, peach, and strawberry. Hard decision isn't it? I got in line for my turn at the window and hoped I would have my mind made up by the time it was my turn to order. While I was waiting, I saw a sign on the booth saying: YES, OUR MILK AND EGGS ARE PASTURIZED...I don't know if folks thought they had a milker and a couple laying hens behind the booth to get their milk and eggs or what, but must have been a common question for them to have to put a sign up.

I decided on peach ice cream and it was wonderful, and by now, as you can imagine, am pretty miserable. I should have saved myself the trouble of eating all of that and slapped the funnel cake on one hip and the bowl of ice cream on the other, as now, about all I can do is waddle.

I think my cravings are gone for another year, or at least until next week when another festival will be happening, and begging me to eat my way through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home