Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Adventure

A few family members and myself went over to Ohio to pick up some pizza and as we were driving through the small town and past some of the churches there, I couldn't help but remember a little trip my Mother and I had a few years ago in that town.

We were going to this small family reunion that was being held in a church. Mom was to come to my house, and from there, I would drive us over. She had the name and address of the church on the invitation. When she arrived at my house she said she had forgotten the invitation at home. I said no problem, it is a small town, how many churches can there be? And it being a weekday, we will just look for the church that has a few cars in the parking lot, no problem. As we were entering the town, we noticed a few churches, no cars. Then as we drove around, noticed church after church. I didn't know a little place could have so many churches.

Finally, we drove past this church, with several cars in the parking lot, so we thought this MUST be the place. We parked, went through the side door and down the steps to the basement where many people were lined up getting food. We just sat down at one of the tables and started to look around. After a few minutes of silence and looking, I turned to Mom and asked her if she recognized any of these people, as I sure didn't. They were all dressed up nicely too, not that we were slobs or anything, but we were more casually dressed. Mom didn't recognize anyone either and we looked at each other...looked at them, and realized that this was a funeral dinner and we were at the wrong church. After some quiet giggles, we quietly slipped out of our chairs and snuck out the door trying to be as inconspicuous as we could. Then out in the car, just roared with laughter.

Finally, after driving up and down every street in this town, we found the church that we were looking for and joined our relatives for a nice afternoon. What an adventure, and what a fond memory that was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home