Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sweet Corn

I was driving home from work today, and thought I would pull in to my brother's drive and check our sweet corn crop. We plant an acre every year, usually by my house somewhere, but this year the chosen spot was to be between my brother's house and my aunt's house. I am not fond of it being down there as there is no easy way to get to it. There is no access from anyone's driveway, just a path from the road through a ditch and up a hill. Only a lawn tractor can make the dip, or go by foot.

I thought I would check on it's progress today as with the rain we had last week and the extreme heat, it wouldn't be long to see some ears developing. I picked 8 ears for supper without having to look too hard. Tonight I will be a pig and eat them all. It's a meal all by it's self. My mouth will be dripping with butter and corn and I'll be a happy camper.

I get so thrilled this time of year. The phone calls go out to the family...SWEET CORN IS READY. Everyone will be coming to get enough in the freezer for winter, probably this weekend and next. It's one of those times where we drop everything we are doing and do the corn. We all used to go to my Aunt's house. All of us had a job to do. Some were picking, some were shucking the corn, and the rest of us were in the kitchen cooking, cooling, cutting it off the cob and bagging it up for the freezer. It was hot, hard work but worth every minute of it. We talked, laughed and had a great time. Now, we all pretty much fend for ourselves, doing it when we have the time in our own homes. Every now and then I get some help and it's like when I was little with the family. Sharing and socializing and laughing. It doesn't seem like so much work. I miss those times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home