Friday, August 18, 2006

The Cupboard

While I have been doing all of this painting in the kitchen, I kept glancing over at this old cupboard piece that was once in my Grandmother's basement. It's four foot, with two drawers, at the top, on one side a cabinet door, and the other, a pull out potato bin.

I have watched The Antiques Road Show, constantly hearing about how the value of a piece is ruined by painting, that the original patina is what is desirable. With that thought in my mind I have never considered painting it, but with the bright yellow, and white, that old piece just looked awful, and then I remembered something my Mother said years ago. Her hair was getting kind of dingy, and with the gray was looking sort of dull and lackluster. She had considered coloring it but thought that her Mother wouldn't approve, until one day, as they were doing something and my Grandma looked at Mom's hair, and said: "Why don't you do something with your hair...put color on it...it's looking kind of mousy."

So with that thought in my mind, I did it...I put primer on the cupboard, and am getting ready to paint. I don't think Grandma would mind after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home