Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Forgotten Garden

Since I have been so busy inside, and the weeds have taken over the garden, I have been, for the most part, ignoring it. So this morning I decided to go out and see what was out there. I ended up picking a huge basket of green beans, and while I was doing that, tripped over a cantaloupe. I have tried in the past to grow those darn things but never had the best luck. One year I grew the worlds smallest cantaloupe. It was about the size of a walnut. I cut it open and sure enough was even orange inside, but no flavor. No one ever told me when it is right to pick one, how can you tell? So this morning I looked at this cantaloupe, and it looked almost like what you see at the store, so I picked it, cut it open and WOW! It was just as sweet as sugar, and the best tasting thing! I'm sure it tasted better, as it was something I grew, but it really was good!

I waded through the weeds, as tall as myself, and also found some huge butternut squash, but they weren't ready, and several pumpkins are turning orange, but they are small. Maybe I'll try a pie with them. I picked a few zucchini and tomatoes too. Supper is planned for this evening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home