Friday, August 25, 2006

Fresh Eggs


On the way home, there is a farm where a sign is out in front of the house that says "FRESH EGGS." I stopped this evening as I was out of eggs, and the sign hadn't been up in a while. I guess when it gets too hot, the hens don't lay much. This place as a variety of fowl, as you can see from the variety of eggs. The one on the lower right I think is a duck egg, it is huge and the carton wouldn't close on that side. The one on the top left is a very light blue. Of course, you have to do your own egg washing.

I had never purchased eggs from this particular place so didn't know quite what the "system" was. I pulled up the drive towards the back of the house. On the back door window was a sign that says something like if you want eggs, they are in the refridgerator on the back porch...help yourself. I walk through the door, find the fridge, open it and it is full of soda pop, and on the top shelf there were the egg cartons with a tupperware bowl on the shelf below with magic marker on it saying, eggs, 50 cents. FIFTY CENTS! I picked my dozen, and plopped my two quarters in the bowl with several other quarters, closed the door, got back in the car and drove off.

There is nothing like self serve egg shopping out in the country.

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How Neat! I am interested in if the light blue egg tastes any different.
And I dont think I have ever tried a duck egg before. Let us know how that one is, too.
I am going to miss the fairs there and the 'pick your own strawberries' place. And yes, there is nothing like those little roadside places that are self serve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home