Saturday, September 30, 2006

Saturday At The Fair

I just love the fair. All of the smells of caramel corn, doughnuts frying, onions, peppers and sausages cooking,all mixed together. Even the sounds of the carnival barkers, and music from the rides, and carousel. For one week of September, the downtown around the courthouse is transformed into a fantasy land.

As far back as I can remember, I have gone to this fair. We would get the same spot every year to watch the parade. It was in front of the Laundromat, why it was there, I have no idea, but it was a place everyone knew we would be located and everyone could meet up. We would get there early so we would have a good view of the marching bands, and floats that would come by. I remember my Father, solemnly standing and putting his hand over his heart each time the American flag would go by. I think he spent most of the time standing as everyone seemed to have one. After the parade, we all would walk a block over to where the rides, and food tents were. We would spend the whole day running from ride to ride, not being able to go on them all, as we were only allowed to go on a few, then we would all go to the Lions tent and get a bowl of chili and a hamburger. The Lions tent is still there, in the same place it has been since time began. They have made a few modifications, but for the most part, it is the same. One reason we all went there is that it would rain nine times out of ten on the Saturday of the fair, and the Lions tent was a place to get in out of the rain and chill and huddle up.

It's funny how everyone has their particular place they have to eat, and the preferences of food they have. Some go to one particular church serving pie, and soup. Some go to the Lions. It's all about family ties, and traditions that have gone on for years.

I don't go to the parade any more. For some reason, I well up and cry at parades, and it can get a bit embarrassing. I have no idea why, but for me, it is a sob fest. Maybe memories of past years, and people, maybe the excitement of it for the participants, who knows. But I still go to the fair, and to the Lions tent and to the Eastern Star trailer for the best fried doughnuts a person could ever taste and get extra to take home to freeze so I can experience the fair throughout the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home