Friday, September 15, 2006

Changing Seasons

Fall is approaching quicker than I would like this year. The crops in the fields are starting to dry, flowers are drying out and going to seed, and the vegetables in the garden are in their final stages. In just a few weeks there will probably be a frost that will finish any of the garden that is left. Leaves are in the beginning stages of changing color. Festivals in the area are in full swing with good food and crafts to look at and purchase.

Summer just flew by this year. It seems like only about a month ago, it was Memorial Day weekend, with plans of short trips and projects in the yard and house. Now all of the planning is of putting things away for the Winter, taking the air conditioners out, putting away the hummingbird feeders, digging up some of the plants outside that can be potted and brought in, and cleaning out the heating ducts of the summer's accumulation of dust.

I get kind of melancholy this time of year. I realize all of the things I had hoped to do, didn't get done, friends I didn't get in touch with, and visits not made. There just wasn't enough time to work it all in.

In many traditions, Autumn is a time for reflection. People in their senior stage of life are said to be in Autumn. They have lived most of their lives, and it is a time to review their lives and the wisdom they have accumulated. They think about all of the things they had hoped to do, didn't get done, and friends they have lost touch with.They look on their accomplishments, and are deciding whether their lives were successes or failures.

I'm no where close to the Autumn stage of my life, but the changing of the seasons do bring about thoughts of changing parts of my life that I would like different. I'm not sure how many things I would like to do will get done, but I do know that I plan to have no regrets when I reach my own stage of Autumn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home