Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Old Settlers




Today, I went to the fair looking for my brother, aunt, and cousins who went to the Old Settler's part of the county fair. My brother thought maybe he could win a prize for being the youngest one there.

It was held at the old high school gymnasium. Most of the old high school, is now a community center, with the food bank, and other civic services and classes. But the gym has pretty much remained the same over the years. Today, it was filled with mostly senior citizens, many with walkers and canes. I imagine many of these folks played basketball and cheered in this very gym many years ago, full of energy and expectations for their lives to come. Some, judging from the contests a little later in the afternoon, probably met at one of the dances that were held there, and eventually married.

I had picked up a shaved fried potato when I was walking through the fair on the way to the school, not knowing it was a complete program, which included lunch. It was a good thing I had the potato as I wasn't old enough to partake of the free lunch, but I did qualify for a beverage. The meal was served by some merry farm retirement place, which, now that I think about it, makes perfect sense.

There was a nice high school choir there that sang several patriotic songs, and other good old tunes everyone could sing along with, and everyone had a song sheet so they could participate in a sing along which followed the choir. After that, the host held a contest for the oldest person to have lived only in the county, a man of 99 years, the oldest male, 98 (you could only win once), oldest female, 97, the longest married couple, 63 years, and the most grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren, 62, bless that woman's heart.

I think there was more of the program to be done, but the senior home bus arrived, and over half of the audience had to leave, so they wrapped up pretty quickly.

As I sat looking at all of these people I could see some of their lives unfold, their joys, and sorrows throughout the years. The wars they fought in, and the children they raised. They all looked content and wise to me. I'm sure if I would have talked to many of them, I would hear the frustrations they experience as a result of losing their youthful exuberance and bodies. Having good minds, but the body unable to keep up with their desires. One man said that in twenty years, this crowd will have even older people, mostly over one hundred, with all of the new medical miracles, and health care we have now. I wonder if that's such a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home