Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Fourth

I went up to the lake today to help celebrate the fourth with my brother and sis in law. As I drove up to their house, this is what I saw... Twenty one flags...there was a sale at a surplus store, so S purchased a package of 20. She lined pretty much everything with flags. As I walked up to the house, I heard the Battle Hymn of the Republic blaring on the stereo, and as I entered the door to Glory Glory Hallelujah, there stood my sister in law decked out in her one nation under God t-shirt saluting. What a moment! It was pretty good. I laughed, she laughed.

She was playing a cd of patriotic songs and hymns. It wasn't too bad. They would play it when the grandkids came over. When the Stars and Stripes Forever came on, she said that my brother would always go nuts, get the pots and pans out and start banging on them and marching about the house. I am sure they thought he was nuts. I had to laugh, as when we were little, we had a red 78 of John Phillip Sousa marches and march all over the house. She said that explained a lot.

Times have changed for youngsters these days. Back then, we were so easily entertained. Today, if there isn't a computer game around or an Ipod, there isn't anything to do. I wonder what they will pass on to their grandchildren when they reach our age.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Cedar said...

Wow you sounded just like my Dad there for a moment: If there isn't a record player or a TV blaring these damn kids wouldn't know what to do...

The next generation: If Johnny didn't have that Flying Car and BOT girlfriend, he wouldn't know what to do.

WHERE ARE THE FLYING CARS?? THEY promised us flying cars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home