Friday, July 07, 2006

Hidden Treasures

Last evening I picked the last of the black raspberries. It was a good berry year, about 7 full quart bags for the freezer. There is nothing like a wild black raspberry pie in the middle of winter when things are getting boring and blue. I save those berries for the most special occassions, as when they are gone, that is it for sometimes two years, as it seems, they only produce well every other year. I do, however, plan on baking a pie or two for company coming this summer.
I have a strange habit of saying thank you each time I pick a berry and I am here to tell you...there were a lot of thank yous said this year. One thing I have noticed when I pick is that the best, most luscious berries are kind of hidden underneath the leaves, kind of down at the botttom. Many times all by themselves. Sometimes it even takes looking at the same bush from different angles to even detect them. I had an epiphony to speak of when I found some of these luscious berries. Some people are kind of like that too. The best people sometimes are the one's that are inconspicuous in a crowd, and often overlooked by others, even considered insignificant. They stand alone many times, and are quiet. But if one takes the time to get to know them, they are the ones that usually turn out to be the most important people in your life. It just takes a little coaxing and patience.

3 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Blogger Cedar said...

I love reading your blog, everytime I come over here there is something new and interesting to read and think about. Thanks for the gifts...Risley

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger DB said...

Wow! All that from picking blackberries, but you're absolutely right.

Our blackberries are just coming in. We didn't get many this year because we're 15" down on rain, but better than last year when we got none.

Now if we can just keep Rosie out of them until they are ripe...

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Junie said...

The blackberries aren't ready yet..these are raspberries. I stay away from those and let my brother pick them. Too many thorns and too much poison ivy. But I might get brave and try it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home