Thursday, October 19, 2006

Furnace Tribulations

A couple of weeks ago, it got cold enough in the house to turn on the furnace. It worked for a while, then just quit, so I called up the furnace guy. He comes up, puts a part in, turns on the furnace and leaves, not even waiting to see if it was really repaired or not. Of course, ten minutes after he leaves, the furnace stops running. It hadn't even reached the temperature that was set. I call him. He doesn't believe it is not working. This can't be possible. He replaced the part that he was sure the cause of my furnace not working. Then he says "Well....I just CAN'T turn around and come back. I am too busy!"

I turned the thermostat off and on until it finally reached a decent temperature, and after that, it seemed to work okay. The furnace guy calls back. He thinks he knows what the problem is. I had a small plague of those lady bugs last year. He said there were quite a few he cleaned out of the furnace, and they must have collected in the trap of the drain at the bottom of the furnace, and when the water level reaches a certain point, it shuts off. He will have to bring a new trap. I was nice, and patient, and told him since it seemed to be keeping the set temperature, there was no hurry as I am sure he was dealing with some people that had no heat at all. It was working fine...UNTIL....He once again calls to see if this small problem had disappeared if by some miracle, so he wouldn't have to come back. He wanted me to turn down the thermostat, and let it have to heat up 10 degrees or so to see if it could do it without shutting off. I did just that. It, of course, shuts off way before it was time. And, now, have no heat at all. Once again. None...Zero...Zip....Nada heat. No matter what I do, there is no heat, the furnace is making crazy noises, and now, with the third call to the furnace guy today, the only thing heating up are tempers. This furnace isn't five years old, and he has had to replace more parts and do more service than the old furnace had the entire time I had it.

Now, I am a patient person. More so than I should be at times. I give people the benefit of the doubt and try to be understanding and reasonable. I want to yell at the guy and tell him if he had taken the time to STAY the first time he came out to make sure it would complete a full cycle, we wouldn't be having this problem. I want to tell him if he wasn't so arrogant and LISTENED to what I told him it was doing, he wouldn't be coming up here for a second trip. And what I really want is for someone to give him a peace of my mind for me, because, nice person that I am, I would first of all, start crying as I yelled, and then try to feed him cookies or something afterwards. Is there such a thing as Rent-A-Ranter?

1 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Cedar said...

I would have "Talked" to him for you free of charge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home