Sunday, October 15, 2006

Buried Treasure

I had company come today to probe my yard for buried treasure. They used those metal detectors and were scouring the yards and fields trying to turn up any metal pieces, hoping to find something interesting and old. I admired their patience as they waved their detectors, listening carefully for any beeps to come through their headphones, then digging away only to turn up an old piece of farm equipment. I thought there would be more interesting things, as this farm has been here since the early eighteen hundreds, but most of the things they found was a whole lot of trash. Old beer cans, a rim to a headlight, some wire and one 1965 quarter found out by the mail box. They spent hours out there. I chose to stay in and cook. That's what I seem to do best. After a few hours, they came in for pot roast and pie, and then went back out for a few more hours. I would have given up after the first hour.

I suppose it's like my love for fishing, only their catch is in the earth. I can spend hours throwing the line in the water, and not catch anything, but always be hopeful something will find it's way to my hook so I can reel it in and see what it is.There is just something special about things we can't see readily. That element of surprise, the anticipation of finding or catching that big prize. I think it isn't really finding something cool, it's the anticipation that keeps us hooked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home