Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's Coming

We have been so spoiled this past week with very warm weather for this time of year, one of those things where you are lulled into some idea that maybe it really isn't late Fall, and Winter is just around the corner. Every time I have checked the weather forcast, it has pretty much been the same. Low 60's clouds, mild, get your last minute outdoor stuff done, because it's not going to last kind of forcast. Today, I had hoped to see the same, but as I clicked to the daily temperatures for the next few days, I saw a big red weather alert. I just knew the other shoe would drop. We have a big winter storm coming, and they weren't even specific on what kind of weather alert it is. A storm is headed this direction and going to get stronger, pick up speed, dump a load of something, rain or snow somewhere, depending on where it tracks. These kinds of alerts are a bit scarey. They haven't called it a snow storm, or a winter storm, or snow advisary. It's a warning that we are going to get a warning, I guess.

I used to work in a supermarket, and have never forgotten the winter months when a snow storm was about to hit. People would pour in the door, buy all of the milk and bread, even when they didn't even drink milk or eat bread. It must be some sort of inner survival bell that goes off in people's heads. Storm coming; buy milk and bread. People would have full carts of beer, chips, junk food, you name it. Then the storm would pass North or South, and we would only get 2 inches of snow.

Two days later, another winter storm warning would go out, and these same people would come flooding back to the store and buy all of this stuff all over again. I could never figure out what they did with all of the groceries they purchased just two days before. It got to be pretty entertaining, in a way for us.

I think today, I'm going dig the snow shovel out of the back of the shed, look for my extra warm gloves and hat, and then make a trip to the grocery. I need milk and bread.

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing the grocery part of this story...I'm thinking...they really did make fools of themselves, didn't they?
Ah, the memories we have!
I can still smell the donuts, tho!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home