Saturday, June 09, 2007

Linear Thinking

I was picking up a few things at a convenience store today, and there were two boys that stepped up to the cashier, each with a dollar in their hands. They were probably eight or nine years old. They had baseball uniforms on, and were swigging their drinks as they stood there. The cashier said "that will be two dollars." The boys in unison said that their orders were separate. So the cashier moved her hand over the register briefly, then said, "okay yours is one dollar." The kid gave her his dollar. Then she kind of waved her hand over the register again, and said to the other boy, "okay yours is one dollar." The other kid gave her his dollar, and they proudly walked out of the store with their beverages.

There were a few people standing around and behind the boys waiting for their turn, and we all quietly laughed and shook our heads.

I got to thinking and wondering about children, and what the age was where they would have naturally known about such things, and putting two and two together. I can't remember how old I was to have that awareness. I guess one day you are only focused on your individual task at hand, and then another day, which is uneventful, you think beyond your nose.

All I know is that I got a kick out of watching them, and so did all of the other people. Oh to be young again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home