Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Marcie's Valentine

Marcie absently stared out the window while she did the dishes. She had quite a pile to be washed; she had been in a slump and hadn't felt like doing much lately. "Another Valentine's Day, and here I am at home doing dishes," she sighed out loud. She heard the dog barking out by the driveway and noticed a big white limousine pulling in. A Tall woman in a driver's uniform stepped out.

As she walked out to meet the driver half way, she thought to herself, "Surely this isn't the house she wants."

"Is this the home of Marcie Stumps?" asked the driver.

"Yes it is," replied Marcie with a puzzled look on her face.

"I have instructions to take you to the city. There is no need to change; everything is being taken care of. I'll wait for you in the car."

At that moment, all kinds of things raced through Marcie's head, but the thought of a ride in a nice limousine sure beat doing the dishes. She wiped her hands on the towel that was draped over her shoulder, gave it a toss into the yard, and hopped into the car.

Upon entering she couldn't help notice another woman sitting across from the seat she was sliding on. The woman said, "My name is Maxine and I am to give you a manicure and do your hair on the drive. There are some clothes hanging over here you are to wear."

Marcie's eyes slowly took in the beautiful black dress hanging neatly on the hook, and resting in the corner of her seat, a pair of sheer hosiery with a seam in the back and a pair of black pumps. She picked up a shoe and inside was a jewelry box with a pair of simple diamond earrings and necklace.

"Your admirer thought of everything," said Maxine as she buffed Marcie's nails. "When I am done with your manicure, I will fix your hair and apply your makeup for you. We should have just enough time to get it all done before we arrive, and I'm sorry but I can't answer any questions you have, I was given strict orders to keep quiet."

The limo pulled up in front of Joey's, the finest restaurant in town. The driver got out and opened the door for Marcie, admiring the dramatic change since first seeing her in the yard with a towel draped over her shoulder.

Marcie got out and was directed to the door where the waiter walked her to a table where a striking woman wearing a black jacket and white blouse sat waiting. There was Champaign chilling beside the table and red roses at her chair.

"You may not know who I am, but we talked for a while a year or so ago from the personals in the paper," said the woman.

Marcie searched her mind and remembered this wonderful woman she had talked to that seemed to have just disappeared.

"My name is Judy, and I have been in love with you since the day we said hello, and I have been overseas all of this time on business. I would like to know if you would go back with me and spend the rest of your..."

All of the sudden Marcie heard a crash. The pile of dishes toppled over and snapped her back to reality.

"Maybe next year," Marcie sighed as she wiped a lone tear off her cheek and dipped her hands in the dish water.

MSM
2/14/07

1 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I absolutely loved your fairy tale story.

Trudy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home