Monday, August 20, 2007

Highlight of a Dreary Day

It has been raining for a couple of days, pretty much none stop. I'm a person that likes to have the sun shining, or I turn into this lethargic blob. So today I decided to go grocery shopping instead of being depressed at home. Off to the store I went, making a list in my head on my way, so I would have some sort of plan once I arrived and not start throwing all kinds of junk in the cart.

I made my way through the store, and arrived at the meat counter where there was a sale on rib-eye steaks. Another man was standing beside me, and we both were just kind of staring at the packages. We both picked up a few, put them down, kind of looked around at some of the other cuts, went back to the steaks and picked up and put down the packages. At the very same time, we took in a deep breath and let out a big sigh. We both chuckled, and then I came right out and said that a person almost has to take out a loan to buy a package of meat these days. Both of us left that section with no steaks in our carts. I opted for the less expensive chicken to have for supper.

After filling the cart with all kinds of junk (my plan didn't work), I went to the check out lane where this stern looking woman was waiting. I had a big bag of vidalian onions, and she couldn't find the bar code, and then asked if I knew how much they were. I said I didn't know, but they were 3 something, and she said...well how about 3 dollars. I, of course, said okay, and down to the lady bagging groceries the onions went.

Next thing I am hearing is: "Helen, stop looking for that bar code, it isn't on there. Now, don't you go thinking it's another price when I already said what I was going to charge for those onions. " Poor Helen, she was just trying to help.

I left with the cart full of bags thinking if I was a mystery shopper, that cashier would have been in a heap of trouble, and the bagger, Helen, would have gotten a gold star.

1 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good old days are over.....it never leaves us, tho, does it??!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home