Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Stinky Bidness

Living in the country sometimes has it's down side. The other night when I got home from work, I smelled skunk when I got out of the car and headed into the house. I thought that someone must have hit one down the road and the wind was just right to take the odor to where I lived, and hoped it would be gone in the morning. No such luck. I still smelled it in the morning, and worse than that, I smelled it in the house. Could a skunk have opened my back door and sprayed and then shut it while I was asleep?

I went out to paint, and still noticed the strong scent, and so after a while it got to really bothering me and so I walked over to the other side of the house to see what I could find. Sure enough, NEXT to the house was a dead skunk. How it got there, I don't know but there it was. Of course I was just getting ready to leave for work, and couldn't bury it and thought first thing in the morning, that was the chore that had priority.

This morning, I got the shovel, and went out into the field, dug a hole, and then went to where I had found the skunk the day before. IT WAS GONE! I smelled it, strong as ever behind the house, and walked all over the place and no skunk. Now how hard can a fragrant dead skunk be to find? So hard, I gave up, put the shovel in the shed. I wasn't wanting to give up, because that thing was somewhere and it was going to annoy me, in more ways than the obvious, until I found it.

I started up to the house, and walked to the other steps of the back porch, and noticed something in the corner where it meets up with the house, and there is a big crack in the concrete, and.....OH MY GOODNESS; There it was, half in that crack. Something had tried to drag it in under my porch. I quickly buried it and then really started to worry.

What is now living under my porch that is big enough to drag a dead skunk under there for a meal.

I think I'll sit out after work tonight with my shotgun and flashlight.

3 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I didn't know you personally I'd swear you were making this stuff up!!!!
Truth IS stranger than fiction!!!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Junie said...

I'm telling you there was nothing I could make up about the smell I was smelling..lol

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy - maybe???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home