Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Tree

With all of the goings on around here, it has been a bit frustrating. It's been a hurry up and wait kind of thing with the insurance adjustor and contractor, waiting for all of the facts and figures to come in. None if it is looking that good at the moment.

So I figured while I waited for all of that, I would put up a Christmas tree, and occupy myself with decorating the tree, and some of the house for the holiday. I haven't decorated in a few years, as I am alone and what was the point of putting a tree up, getting all of that stuff out just for me, and then having to put it all away again. I enjoyed admiring other people's trees and that was good enough for me.

I went to the Home Depot the other evening to see if I could find a live cut tree. It was dark, and very cold, but not too late in the evening. I was the only one out where the trees were, which I thought was kind of odd. I had the whole garden area to myself to walk around and look at all of the varieties of trees they had available. Let me tell you it is hard when you are short and have short arms to hold a tree, stand back and twirl it, to make sure there aren't too many big bald spots and decide on the right tree. After getting some help I shoved the tree in the car and headed for home. Thank goodness for those net gizmos that "condense" the tree.

After the tree "relaxed" in the house for a while, I started decorating it. I could feel my mood change as I pulled out the lights, and ornamants. I was actually excited!

Memories flooded with each ornamant I pulled out. Some I remember as a little girl on our tree, some I had made, and some given to me over the years by friends and family. They all went up, even the ragged looking ones that have seen their better days. I discovered when the lights were low, even they looked beautiful with the lights reflecting off them. You couldn't tell the scratched ornamants from the brand new. They were all beautiful in their own way, and made the tree complete. Hiding or throwing them out would be almost like hiding parts of me that were scratched and dented. All of those parts made me who I am today too.

I'm glad the tree is up. I think it is perfect!

Grrr the pictures won't post. Stay tuned......

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The commentary about the ornaments is lovely, and so is your tree.

Trudy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home